I have twins, so they have ONE birthday per year.
It doesn’t feel quite right to have TWO kids, and yet, just one birthday!
That’s why I started celebrating their half birthday (mostly for me, and I feel no shame!).
This is the cake that I make for them on their half birthday which just happened. It’s simple, but delicious, and comes together so quickly. It’s from Molly Wizenberg’s first book: A Homemade Life.
I doubled the icing portions because we can’t have too much icing, right?
You can watch me make it here (with all kinds of stories I share)!
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ½ cup well stirred whole milk yogurt (or skyr)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
Ingredients for the icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or cooking spray
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Blend well (I use this stand mixer) and pour into a greased pan
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until the cake tester comes out clean.
Do not over bake.
- Make the icing while waiting by combining the sugar and lemon juice
- Cool the cake for at least 15 minutes before pouring the icing on top and let it drip to the sides
- Decorate as desired! Or it’s a very elegant simple cake undecorated.